[geeklog-devel] Calendar Plugin - Recurring Events

Anthony Rowles aqrowles at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 14:27:33 EDT 2010

If a user is downloading a calendar side block for the current month, and
there's a 10 year old weekly meeting in the database, the user would either
need to download one copy of the recurring event or four instances of the
event that have been populated into the database.  Calculating the
recurrence on the fly results in a page size decrease.

The problem I think you're talking about isn't really with long-lasting
events, but with infrequently recurring events.  There are definitely use
cases where this could be a issue - for example, a calendar of all employee
birthdays for a large company.  A monthly-view side block would have to
receive every employee's birthday in order to check if any occur during that
month.  When I wrote some calendar software for a government contractor that
had to deal with a lot of quarterly and annual reports - what I did was flag
events with the months they could possibly occur in, and use that as an
additional filter.  This limits your recurrence possibilities somewhat
("every 42 days" would be impossible to implement, for example), but it's
not a bad trade-off.

- Tony