[geeklog-devel] The Slogan which is a Claim

Markus Wollschlaeger 1000ideen at gmx.de
Mon Feb 8 11:26:32 EST 2010

When evaluating which "slogan" or rather "claim" is best one should understand how this stuff is being used.

A claim points out the key value or advantage of the product. The one which differentiates it from the rest.

This is NOT the best claim also not for Drupal: 'Software to build websites with' because it does not differentiate enough. There are more than 100 competitors on opensourcecms.com , they all could say the same plus readymade websitebuilder plans.

--> So this would be step no1, what is the key advantage over other systems?

I`d say reliability, security, professional code.

Actually, I had been going through this process in July 2007 before the FrosCon 2007 fair:
http://eight.pairlist.net/pipermail/geeklog-devel/2007-July/002099.html

Here the flyer and the preflight states again:
http://www.hallomarkus.de/copy/geeklog-flyer-original-screen.pdf
http://www.hallomarkus.de/copy/geeklog2-pre-tests.pdf

====== some more explanation ===========
A claim does not need to explain the brand name or the function! It only transmits the key idea / advantage.

Lets imagine someone roughly knows what a CMS is and finds this:
http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=1&cat=CMS%20/%20Portals So here we start and then 'Geeklog - main advantage' makes sense.

You cannot expect complete newbees to understand Geeklog - main advantage- that would be too much of an explantion.

Another famous example is 'Xerox - the document company'. You don`t understand that either if you have never seen a fax, copier etc.

Off course a name change like GeeklogCMS, GeeCMS, gCMS or G-blog-CMS could help to make it easier to understand what Geeklog is. But this is another topic I tried to discuss here:
http://eight.pairlist.net/pipermail/geeklog-devel/2008-April/003393.html
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=80628&mode=&show=20

Further steps would be how to verbally and visually transmit this key idea. It is better to split these things up.

Ciao, Markus