[geeklog-devel] GSoC Student Requirements

ṨϮⱥȵίṥʟɑ√ yankees26an at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 17:45:47 EST 2010

Formality: If we keep it simple, maybe?
- what did you achieve over the last week?
- what did not work out as expected and why?
- what are your plans for the coming week?
- where do you think you may be facing a problem or require more time?

I couldn't have said that better. It covers all areas - how much work
you put in - what you plan to work on, and an explanation of why you
spent the whole week on one bug :)

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Randy Kolenko <Randy.Kolenko at nextide.ca> wrote:

>> 1. A testing/development environment needs to be up and running before
> the start of coding.
>
> We still have someone willing to put out a VM of this?  Otherwise, I
> think that having a site that is internet accessible for both the
> student to develop on and the mentor to check out progress on is almost
> mandatory.
> Not sure if we can get sub-domains of Geeklog.net for the students to
> use.  Secured by htaccess rules so that nothing embarrassing is shown
> :-)
>

>> 2. All code needs to be kept in the repository, push's should happen
> at LEAST weekly.
>
> Agreed 100%.  Far too often students go into the void and emerge weeks
> after without much explanation.  We need to see consistent effort.
>

>> 3. A weekly report to your mentor (and/or the Geeklog community as a
> whole?).
>> We discussed coming up with a formal outline for such reports. Is
> there still interest in doing so?
>
> I'm not big on overly formalizing the reports.  We can wiki this up too
> -- but the students should at least have 2-3 bullet points to cover off
> on each report.  Such as progress this week, outstanding issues,
> progress scheduled for next week.
> However I think the reports MUST be done weekly at a minimum.  The
> reports should be scheduled between the student and mentor and should
> always be done on that day.
>

>> 4. The last two weeks of coding should be reserved for
>> "integration and test" so GSoC changes can make it into the main
> repository.
>
> 100% agreed.  I made this a requirement for socnet.  The plugin NEEDS to
> be in alpha mode for sure.
>
>> 5. ???
>
> Pizza party?
>
>> 6. Profit!