[geeklog-devel] Non table layout (was Geeklog 1.9.0 or Geeklog 2.0.0?)

geeklog at mystral-kk.net geeklog at mystral-kk.net
Fri Apr 13 08:03:48 EDT 2012

Yoshinori Tahara as dengen wrote:

> I have a solution. And, actually wrote the code.
> Since I had prepared a Mercurial repository to Google Code, Please
> clone or pull and evaluate it.
>
> geeklog-im home
> https://code.google.com/p/geeklog-im/

I have tried and found it good.

> Table layout is so old-school.
> COM_siteHeader and COM_siteFooter should be abolished at a time.
> But in the foreseeable future, these functions must leave for backward
> compatibility.
>
> I created the theme 'Denim', making the best use of the flexibility of
> CSS layout.
> It has adopted a responsive Web design.
> If you use a Table layout, it is absolutely not achieved.
> Go try it out on iPhone, iPad or Android.
> If you do not have these device, please try to resize the width with
> the browser on your PC.
>
> If you jump up to 2.0.0 version of Geeklog, please indicate the bright
> prospects.
> Please do not disappoint us, leaving the Table layout.

Layout with tables is many years old-fashioned.  Only a few users may need
table layout, but most users, especially users with mobile devices, would
surely prefer a responsive Web design.

That said, I don't think it is good to include dengen's work into
Geeklog-2.0.0.  As other people said, it will break backward compatibility
too much.  In addition, it is efficient and desirable to introduce a new
template engine (e.g. Smarty or Twig?) to make the best of his work.

So how about making this a project for this summer:
  1. Introducing a new responsive Web design based on dengen's work.
  2. Introducing a new template engine.
--
  mystral-kk
  geeklog at mystral-kk.net