[geeklog-devel] Geeklog CKEditor Integration

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Jul 30 16:07:56 EDT 2013

Niemans <niemans at nlbox.com> wrote:

> A mixed license environment will always be a problem.

Yep.

> And before upgrading to GPLv3, make sure there ain't third party software involved that still is with GPLv2.
> Check Pear also. Maybe switch to MariaDB also?

I don't think these are a problem, since they all use well-defined APIs to communicate.

Geeklog doesn't have that. Our APIs are somewhat messy since we also share internal data structures ($_CONF, the $LANG arrays, etc.). Which, according to interpretations expressed in earlier discussions, means there is no clear separation and therefore makes use of code under certain other licenses impossible. GPLv2 vs. GPLv3 might be one such case.

>> Maybe switch to MariaDB also?

That's unrelated to the license issue, I assume? MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL. I use it on my test environment without any problems. We could probably start recommending it over MySQL, though, in the spirit of openness and all (which Oracle hasn't exactly subscribed to).

http://www.themobilepresenter.com/