[geeklog-devel] Drop Support for COM_siteHeader and COM_siteFooter

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Fri Jan 22 10:18:53 EST 2016

I think it is time to remove the depreciated functions

COM_siteHeader
COM_siteFooter

and make the COM_createHTMLDocument the required function for creating a
Geeklog Page.

I have added a feature request for it here

https://github.com/Geeklog-Core/geeklog/issues/657

and set it for the v2.2.0 milestone. Depending on time lines we can move it
back if needed.

Obviously if we do this then it will make any plugins that use the above
functions unable to work with Geeklog 2.2.0 or higher.

Some of the plugins which will need updating (which I have been involved in)
include:

GUS
Ban
Autotags
Nettools
Searchrank

The change isn't difficult to do it is just a little time consuming as you
have to run a search through all the plugin code and replace the two calls
with the one and then test things just to make sure it all works.

I see this happening in a year or so but I wanted to give plugin developers
notice now. I would also post about this on Geeklog.net if everyone agrees
with the decision.

If that is not enough time then maybe we can say Geeklog v2.2.0 will be the
last version to support COM_siteHeader and COM_siteFooter but I rather make
Geeklog 2.1.X the last version to support the functions.

Thoughts?