[geeklog-users] Much ado about nothing?

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Sun Jan 5 16:35:21 EST 2003

Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> Well, I have to decide for a blog to support for several installations.
> Geeklog looks good, but:
>
> 1) Which developments are currently happenening? I don't know. You keep
> it for yourself. I mean, I have some responsibility for my customers and
> I have to take some decisions for what they will have in some months.

Read further below.  Your need to be involved with what is going on in
development is valid and we have addressed that.

> 2) Closely related: What is Geeklog 2. There some quite generic goals
> paper, but what is happenening in the development? You keep it for
> yourself.

Geeklog 2 is the next generation of Geeklog.  Right now a few things
related to development have been done:
1) A custom PHP4 session handler has been written to store session data
in a database that is supported by PEAR::DB (see http://pear.php.net)
2) Work is currently underway on the authentication and authorization
system Geeklog 2 will use.
3) Work on supporting the ability to download modules, block and other
misc. code from within an instance of Geeklog from a centralized geeklog
catalog server is being done (i.e. you can browse and install modules
within Geeklog (no need to to go geeklog.net for this)]
4) General work on internationalization needs has been started.

We hope to update geeklog.net on GL2 efforts soon.

> 2) I would need to apply some changes. First of all, I would like to
> avoid to set register_globals=Off. I submitted some patches, but there
> has been absolutely no reactions if this kind of effort is appreciated.
> You keep it for yourself.

Geeklog 2 already supports this.  Dirk will be in touch to talk about
your patches to do this in Geeklog 1.3.x

> My personal interpretation of this situation is: Dear waanabe
> developers, please keep of. We do not want to tell you what we are
> doing. We do not want to know your opinion. We do not want your
> contribution.

This is the *wrong* interpretation.  Instead you should take it as
"developers need a list of their own to talk about development work.  If
you want to be kept up to date on this join geeklog-devtalk as all
digests from geeklog-devel will go there.  If you are a non-developer
and have questions or concerns related to Geeklog development please use
geeklog-devtalk."

> So in the end I will end looking somewhere else.

Again, you interpretation is a bit off.

> Indeed, it makes sense to allow only developers for the list. Only
> people interested in the deveopment should be allowed to post to the
> list. (Sigh, I've been rejected).

This is exactly what geeklog-devtalk is for.  Join it.

> These kind of things, that happen rarely, could be easily delt with
> through private mail. I do not think that hiding the whole developent
> discussions helps much.
>
> If at least the archive will be public, then , please, forget about half
> of my post.
Will do ;-).  This is the key.  All questions regarding development
efforts from non-developers should be posted to geeklog-devtalk and one
or more of us will respond.

Maybe I'm missing something but the set-up we have seems to address
everybody's needs.  Having had this conversation to this point is there
some agreement to that?