[geeklog-users] Much ado about nothing?

hopfgartner hopfgartner at rolmail.net
Mon Jan 6 13:51:55 EST 2003

On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:35:21 -0600
 Tony Bibbs <tony at tonybibbs.com> wrote:
> Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> >Well, I have to decide for a blog to support for several
> installations.
> >Geeklog looks good, but:
> >
> >1) Which developments are currently happenening? I don't
> know. You keep
> >it for yourself. I mean, I have some responsibility for
> my customers and
> >I have to take some decisions for what they will have in
> some months.
>
> Read further below.  Your need to be involved with what
> is going on in development is valid and we have addressed
> that.
>

> >2) Closely related: What is Geeklog 2. There some quite
> generic goals
> >paper, but what is happenening in the development? You
> keep it for
> >yourself.
>
> Geeklog 2 is the next generation of Geeklog.  Right now a
> few things related to development have been done:
> 1) A custom PHP4 session handler has been written to
> store session data in a database that is supported by
> PEAR::DB (see http://pear.php.net)

Will PEAR::DB be used for all database related tasks?
Personally, I'm using it since half a year and I have to
say that I really feel comfortably with it (setting work
aside, we (PHPaga developers - phpaga.sourceforge.net)
switched to PEAR::DB and had encoutered no big issues. Only
sequences are slightly delicate when migrating. We decided
to switch from pure MySQL to PEAR since we all feel, that
PostgreSQL has some features that make our development
tasks easier. SQL VIEWs are the most notable of them.)
Summa: PEAR::DB is a fine database abstraction.

> 2) Work is currently underway on the authentication and
> authorization system Geeklog 2 will use.
> 3) Work on supporting the ability to download modules,
> block and other misc. code from within an instance of
> Geeklog from a centralized geeklog catalog server is
> being done (i.e. you can browse and install modules
> within Geeklog (no need to to go geeklog.net for this)]
> 4) General work on internationalization needs has been
> started.
>
> We hope to update geeklog.net on GL2 efforts soon.

This reads like: GL2 initially emphasises on
infrastructure. Reads good.

> >2) I would need to apply some changes. First of all, I
> would like to
> >avoid to set register_globals=Off. I submitted some
> patches, but there
> >has been absolutely no reactions if this kind of effort
> is appreciated.
> >You keep it for yourself.
>
> Geeklog 2 already supports this.  Dirk will be in touch
> to talk about your patches to do this in Geeklog 1.3.x

Depending on the state of GL2, it's not clear if it makes
sense to apply big changes to 1.3.6. Is there a CVS version
of GL2? Does it work (modulo cracks due to development)? Is
it near to completion?

> Maybe I'm missing something but the set-up we have seems
> to address everybody's needs.  Having had this
> conversation to this point is there some agreement to
> that?

Yes, definitly. Thank you for you exhaustive reply.

> --Tony

Cheers, Peter