[Neurons] 2012 Meta Reflections #33

L. Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Jul 2 10:02:46 EDT 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012

July 2, 2012

Empowerment Series #33

THE POWER OF RESILIENCE

If there is a particular power that you and I need, it is the power to
bounce-back after a set-back. There’s a special term that we use when we
refer to this power—resilience. And resilience power is the power to not
let any defeat, failure, mistake, or misfortune keep you down or kill your
vision. Resilience is the power to get back up, shake off the dust and
dirt and go for it again. It is the power to not let circumstances or your
environment control your thinking, feeling, speaking, or acting. It is to
empower your vision, your values, and your intention. In other words, your
meanings so that the meanings you create in all of these dimensions (and
more) become the controlling factors in your life.

Now isn’t that an incredibly mighty power?

Ø Do you have it?

Ø Do you have enough of it so that you can walk through the world with
the sense that no one and nothing can deprive you of it?

Ø Is your sense of resilience so robust, so stable, and so intense that
you feel free to go ahead and take smart risks?

Ø Do you have the resilience to embrace the day fully?

When you have resilience fully and completely integrated into yourself, into
your mind, your emotions, the way you talk, and the way you act, you have a
level of freedom within yourself that allows you to truly be your own
person. You are not dependent on the outside world, on circumstances, or on
your environment nor even your social environment to determine whether you
feel good or bad, successful or not, effective or not. You are dependent on
something internal—your choices, your intentions, and your vision. In fact,
with resilience you are able to develop a fierce resolve about a vision and
persevere in making it real and to do so in the face of setbacks or
disappoints.

With resilience, you become unstoppable. When you are stopped, it’s only
temporary. That’s because you get right back up, tend to your skinned-up
elbows and knees, reflect on what the most important lessons that you can
learn from the set-back, adjust your thinking, framing, attitude, relating,
and whatever else needs adjusting, and then go for it again. Resilience
makes you a ferocious learner, a life-long learner, a learner who
accelerates the learning that makes for wisdom by squeezing every bit of
learnings from every experience. The way I like framing this description is
to say that you have bounce within you. Knock you down and you bounce right
back up. That’s why in the Resilience Training that we do in
Neuro-Semantics using the Meta-States Model, we talk about resources that
put bounce within you.

What creates this kind of resilience power? As I’ve already indicated, you
have to access and own your core powers of thinking, feeling, speaking, and
acting (Empowerment Series #2 and #3). You also have to create the
meta-state powers of ownership, responsibility, openness, vulnerability,
choice, and the other things already mentioned in this series on personal
empowerment. And that’s why resilience is not a simple state, that is, it
is not a primary state. That’s why you cannot just “access the state of
resilience, anchor it” and presto, you are resilient. Resilience is a more
complex and layered meta-state than that.

Because resilience is a meta-state, it has layers. Within the state, it is
not just a feeling experience. It is that, it does involve some strong
robust feelings, yet it is so much more. To develop the meta-state of
resilience and have it well integrated into yourself, you have to have many
layers of frames of mind (attitudes, beliefs, understandings, decisions,
identities, intentions, etc.) that support and empower this state. This is
what I discovered when I did my very first modeling project (1991-1994) and
in the process discovered or invented the Meta-States Model. By
interviewing many, many people who “had been to hell and back” and who were
resilient, I discovered that they all certain frames of mind that were now
their operational framework.

Like what? They lived in a Matrix of frames that were characterized by such
tremendous and empower ideas as the following:

Ø Getting knocked down is just life, no big deal; I will learn from this
and get back into the game.

Ø I shall get through this. This is just one step back as I now take
three steps forward.

Ø This too shall pass and as it does, I will let it go after I have mined
all the learnings that I can from this so that I never make that mistake
again. Onward to new mistakes!

Ø I have a vision of my life that will fulfill a set of values that I
treasure as precious. I will let nothing kill my vision!

Ø Now is the time to take a step backwards to renew my vision of the big
picture and the resources that I need for my next step forward.

Ø Every setback tells me to refine my coping skills so that I can cope
with, even master this aspect of life. And so I will.

Ø I have plenty of resources, both internal and external, that I can turn
to and access to help me cope and get back on my feet.

Ø I have an untraumatizable center— whatever happens that is
disappointing or hurtful or even even is not about me, not about everything,
and not forever. It is not personal, pervasive, or permanent (Martin
Seligman). It is That There Then or This Here Now.

Ø I will not traumatize myself because something undesirable happen. I
will not play the victims who whines and moans; I will get over it and
master it.

Ø I am more than what happens to me. My happiness and destiny are in my
hands. No one can take away my power to choose my attitude.

For more about the meta-state of resilience, get the Meta-States book (now
in paperback as well as hardback) or track down a Neuro-Semantic Trainer who
trains the Resilience Training.

Neuro-Semantic News

· Join us in the next Coaching Mastery training program--- the
Coaching Boot Camp in Europe! August 25 through Sept. 1.

Mario Mason, Co-Sponsor

Germaine Rediger, Co-Trainer and Co-Sponsor

L. Michael Hall Ph.D trainer

Where: Holiday Inn Express Gent, Akkerhage 2 - 9000 Gent - Belgium

website: www.metacoachtrack.com

For more information please contact: Germaine Rediger - IPhone +32 474
719469

email: germaine at indialogue.eu

· Schedule to be at the Second International Neuro-Semantic
Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia --- June 21-23, 2013. Theme:

Actualizing Human Potential.

Contact Anthony Pinto: ptony at mysatori.com.my

· NSTT starts in 3 weeks --- Now is the time to get in if you want
in this year.

o Write and ask for the Application and Registration forms:
meta at acsol.net

o Prior to NSTT --- Accessing Personal Genius (APG): July 20-22

o First 3 days of NSTT --- The Psychology of APG: July 24-26.

Write for information about these

L. Michael Hall, Ph.D. --- Neuro-Semantics International

Neuro-Semantics Executive Director ---- <http://www.neurosemantics.com/>
www.neurosemantics.com

P.O. Box 8

Clifton, CO. 81520 USA

1 970-523-7877

What is Neuro-Semantic NLP? Get your free subscription to "Neurons" ---
the weekly International Newsletter of Neuro-Semantics. Subscribe at
<http://www.neurosemantics.com/> www.neurosemantics.com. Dr. Hall sends
out Meta Reflections every Monday (Colorado time). Trainers' Reflections
occur on Tuesdays and Meta-Coach Reflections on Wednesdays. Contact Dr.
Hall at <mailto:meta at acsol.net> meta at acsol.net

For world-class Coach Training --- see Meta-Coaching System at
<http://www.meta-coaching.org/> www.meta-coaching.org and at
<http://www.metacoachfoundation.org> www.metacoachfoundation.org

Neuro-Semantics launched the New Human Potential Movement in 2007, for
information about the Self-Actualization workshops, go to
<http://www.self-actualizing.org/> www.self-actualizing.org