[Neurons] 2012 Meta Reflections #54

L. Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Nov 5 09:05:08 EST 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012 #54

Nov. 5, 2012

"DESERVING" AND WEALTH CREATION

"I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that
either."

Jack Benny

During the Inside-Out Wealth training in Italy last week, someone asked me a
question about the idea of 'deserving' wealth.

"How did you get to the place where you felt you deserved to charge what you
are now charging? What did you do to feel that you deserved the wealth that
you have created?"

Now I have to admit that at that moment, I was taken aback. I really did
not know what to say or how to answer that question. So in attempting to
answer it, I focused on the relativity of 'deserving.'

"I find it an interesting question given that you've asked about 'deserving'
wealth. That's because, after all, deserving is relative. A few years ago
I read that Donald Trump charges $250,000 for a speech. And after listening
to a couple of his speeches, which were good, but not fantastic or
exceptionally inspiring, I knew that I could deliver one as good, if not
better (e.g., more practical information, more inspiration, more next steps
for self-actualizing one's wealth potentials). So do I deserve $250,000 per
hour in presentations or trainings?"

Then, as a joke and to inject some humor, I turned to Nicola Riva, who was
translating my words into Italian, and who had organized the training as
part of his and Lucia's Neuro-Semantic Trainings there. I turned to him and
suggested that he think in terms of $250,000 per hour regarding my fees!

Yet in that response I knew that my answer was still not sufficient. I knew
that there were aspects, implications, and frames about the question and
about the word 'deserve' that still needed to be addressed. So later I
spent some "jet lagging" time just thinking about that question. Then after
landing in Chicago at O'Hare airport and waiting for my next flight, I began
putting together an answer- one that I'll use from now on. So here is what
I'll say next time I'm asked about that:

"Actually, I don't deserve it. There's nothing in my life, skills, or
knowledge that demands that I can now require a certain amount of money from
anyone. Whatever I get- whatever the market bears is a fortunate
opportunity for which I'm very grateful. That's because it's not about
deserving, it's about the exchange of goals and values-and experiencing that
exchange with gratitude from a non-demanding perspective. So while I don't
deserve it, I do appreciate several facts:

1) I live in a cultural context where there's a market for my knowledge and
skills- in psychology, leadership, coaching, real estate, etc.

2) I'm grateful that what I've learned, the competencies that I have
developed, the products and services that I have created, the experiences
that I can now facilitate for people that can call forth the financial value
in the cultures in which I live. If I lived in some other contexts and
cultures, there wouldn't be the demand, need, or the desire.

3) So I am fortune to live at this time, to have found the markets that I
have, and over the years to have created the credibility to win the trust of
so many."

The Neuro-Semantics about "Deserve"

All of this raises questions about "deserve." "Deserve" is defined as "to
be worthy, suitable for some reward." And if I am worthy of some reward, if
I "merit" it, then I can require it. I can demand it. I can expect it and
assume it. And all of this creates a very unuseful spirit in anyone who
takes it on- a sense of entitlement.

Yet when it comes to social rewards (e.g., money, recognition, success,
etc.), these occur within a systemic context involving numerous factors. So
what determines whether I get rewarded in a certain way is more than the
mere fact of my knowledge and skill. There are many other variables. Is
there a need for my knowledge and skills? Is there a desire? Are there
many others who are also supplying the same? How much supply is there?
Have I effectively packaged my products and services so that people can
easily see and recognize the benefits?

The problem with "deserve" is that it implies demand and entitlement, yet
there is no basis for being able to demand, expect, or require that others
value the value that I offer at a certain amount or rate. In fact, if I
operate from a sense of entitlement and demand what I think I'm worth, I'll
probably undermine what I am offering and making it less attractive. Money,
after all, is also a shared social reality that depends on a great many
variables- variables influenced by governments, banks, stock markets, supply
and demand, information, etc.

"Deserve" also implies that I have it within my power to force or impose my
offering on others. But in fact I don't have that power. No one does.
Whatever monies I can call forth is a matter of negotiation with clients and
customers within the context of exchange.

"Deserve" also implies that the amount of money, success, recognition, etc.
(social rewards) I receive for my services is connected with my sense of
self, maybe even with my personal value. If I received less than I think
that "I deserve" and am entitled to, I should feel bad, feel dis-valued.
Talk about a belief/understanding frame that sets a person up and
semantically loads these things!

So "deserve" carries lots of implies frames that, as I think about it,
strikes me as increasingly unuseful, even toxic. So the next time I'm
asking about "deserving" wealth or success or anything else, I have my
answer prepared-

"I don't deserve it. What I receive is a gift- a gift within a system of
exchange that I appreciate and am grateful for. I don't deserve it just as
no one deserves it. If I receive success in recognition or in finances- it
is a privilege, an honor, and a responsibility in a market that I happen to
have entered."

L. Michael Hall, Ph.D.

Neuro-Semantics Executive Director

Neuro-Semantics International

P.O. Box 8

Clifton, CO. 81520 USA

1 970-523-7877

Dr. Hall's email:
<mailto:meta at acsol.net\hich\af31506\dbch\af31505\loch\f31506> meta at acsol.net

What is Neuro-Semantic NLP?

Neurons: Get your free subscription to the weekly International \Post on
Neuro-Semantics by Dr. L. Michael Hall. Subscribe at:
wwww.neurosemantics.com

Solutions: Sign up for the Neuro-Semantic Newsletter ---
<http://newsletter.neurosemantics.com/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506/
hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506> newsletter.neurosemantics.com. This
is a monthly newsletter for anyone new to Neuro-Semantics. Femke Stuut,
Editor.

Coaching: For world-class Coach Training - The Meta-Coaching System:
www.meta-coaching.org and \
<http://www.metacoachfo/hich/a/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506%20f3150
6/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506%20undation.org/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31
506/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506> www.metacoachfoundation.org.
Meta-Coach Reflections sent every Wednesday to the group of Licensed
Meta-Coaches.

Self-Actualization: Neuro-Semantics launched the New Human Potential
Movement in 2007, for information about this, see
<http://www.self-actualizing.org/> www.self-actualizing.org